civil engineer, building contractor
HARPSWELL - John G. Gibson, 69, of
Little Crowe Point died Saturday at
Mercy Hospital, Portland.
He was born in Boston, a son of F.W.
and Emily Backus Jr. He graduated from
Needham (Mass.) High School and the University of Maineo in 1952 with a
degree in civil engineering.
On April 11, 1953 he married Sally Duncan in Brunswick.
He began his career as a home builder
in Yarmouth and in the late 1960s, founded
John G. Gibson, Inc., Marine Contractors with his son, Scott. They completed
many civil and marine engineering projects including the Old Orchard Beach pier
and DiMillo's Marina and Floating Restaurant. He retired in 1995.
Mr. Gibson was the chairman of Cousins
and Littlejohn's Island Village
Corporation until it was abolished when the bridge was built to the mainland. He
also served as fire chief on Cousins and Littlejohn's islands and was chairman of
the Yarmouth School Board for several terms in the early 1960s.
Mr. and Mrs. Gibson moved to Harpswell in 1978.
Surviving are his wife, Sally Duncan
Gibson of Harpswell; a son, Scott D. of
Yarmouth; a daughter, Mary Ellen Chase of Great Island, Harpswell; and four
A private funeral service will be
held. Arrangements are by Brackett Funeral
Home, 29 Federal Street, Brunswick.
(copied from the Portland Press Herald Online, December 15, 1998)